Guide to being a street smart pedestrian:
1. Look left, right and left again. Be alert and attentive when crossing the roads.
(What did Kindergartens and Primary schools teach you hey?)
2. DO NOT daydream or have your headphones plugged in or be entirely engrossed in your phones when crossing the roads, even in a carparks. Again, be attentive!
3. Don't purposely dash across the roads faster when you see an oncoming car.
(If you're trying to see who's faster- you or the car, don't.)
4. Don't obstruct the roads when there are the pavements available.
(Cars can still hit you? Because you sure are standing on the wrong place; The roads don't belong to you.)
5. Cars have to give way to you, but please don't take it for granted.
You're equally responsible that you stay safe.
Simple 5 rules that guarantee you to be safer on roads. I know pedestrians have the right of way, but hey, it's also your responsibility to be safe. No?
Having been a pedestrian for the most part of my life, I don't think I've ever been very inconsiderate. I'm very paranoid about getting hit or causing a nuisance to drivers, so much they'll curse at me. For the record, I swear that I have not been cursed at yet, and always thanking drivers for giving way on road crossings. Yes, now being a driver I can totally understand when others complain or curse at stupid pedestrians. I like how pedestrians are so careless when they cross roads, because it just ingrains in my brain to be more careful.
